[Samba] Simple question on Wins...

John H Terpstra jht at samba.org
Fri Aug 15 22:19:06 GMT 2003

On Fri, 15 Aug 2003, Jason Williams wrote:

> Just something I thought about today really.
> Since I am running samba 2.2.8a as a PDC on my network and all of my
> workstations for my clients are Windows 2000 Pro, would it be better to set
> up the PDC to run as a wins server? wins server = yes

Do you have any idea how frustrating it is to see this question?

It means that years of saying "USE WINS IT IS GOOD FOR YOU" has had no
effect! :)

Oh well. Go on, use WINS, it's good for you! :)

> I was just curious because I found some documentation on the wins server
> option, but for the most part, it was glossed over with real no
> explanation. Granted, I know what wins purpose is, but would like to find
> out more about better implementation in my network..

Please refer me to chapter and pages in the Samba-HOWTO-Collection.pdf
available from the Samba-3.0.0 CVS code tree. Tell us please where it is
glossed over so we can fix it. We need to get the message across. This is
so important, and yet we have had so little in the way of patches and
documentation updates. You can help to make it better though, and your
input is welcome.

- John T.
--
John H Terpstra