[Samba] SIMPLE smb.conf file

Serviteur Linux linux at onedge.org
Thu Aug 14 17:22:59 GMT 2003

Hi,

I have been trying to get SWAT to work so I can configure it using a
GUI. But as you can see on my last message, no luck.

I have tryed what seems like hundreds of different configuration schemes
using smb.conf and cannot seem to get things right. Here is the
situation :

Local network, internet on a router/firewall. two winXP machines, two
win98 machines. No domain authentication, simple windows logons. Simple
shares with share based authentication. The machine i'm installing Samba
on is a Red Hat 9 machine.

I want to set up samba so it will ask me for username/password on each
individual share, or simply make the whole shares scheme pulic. I've
tried to make shares public, and no matter what I do I always get the
same error :

\\Serviteur is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this
network resource. Contact.. blah blah. The network path was not found.

Even what I try to access my linux machine using SAMBA from itself I get
a similar error.

( I can access the WinXP shares from Linux )

Here is my smb.conf :

[global]
	workgroup = 5330-1
	netbios name = Serviteur
	server string = "Samba %V"
	encrypt passwords = yes
	update encrypted = yes
	obey pam restrictions = Yes
	pam password change = Yes
	passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
	passwd chat = *New*password* %n\n *Retype*new*password %n\n
*passwd:*all*:authentication*tokens*updated*succesfully*
	unix password sync = yes
	log level = 9
	log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
	max log size = 0
	socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_RECVBUF = 8192 SO_SNDBUF = 8192
	os level = 33
	domain master = No
	dns proxy = No
	guest account = guest