[Samba] Re: Samba vs. Windows : significant difference in timestamphandling ?

mourik jan c heupink heupink at intech.unu.edu
Thu Aug 14 08:32:04 GMT 2003

Dragan Krnic wrote:

>Yes. 8.2 works out of box. Use mount options acl for
>ACLs and user_xattr for EAs.

cool! couldn't find anything on the reiser website, so i assumed it
couldn't do it.

>After quite some experimenting in the beginning (ext3,
>jfs, xfs) it soon became clear that reiserfs is by far
>the best on all counts. I've read postings that xfs
>excells with very large files, e.g. movies, but I
>couldn't see any difference - reiserfs was just as
>fast). It's incredibly fast in directory manipulations,
>especially for very large directories with lakhs of
>files. Very parsimonious too. It doesn't compress data,
>not yet, but it doesn't waste space like other fs's.
>A full reiserfs volume could probably not be restored
>in an equally large ext3 volume. It works since about
>a year impeccably.

and (now that i have your attention... :)) what software do you use to
backup your reisersf/acls partitions?
as what i read  was that you can use basically any backup program to
backup the data, but usually the acls are not backed up.
i heard amanda is supposed to be good?

anyway... i realise this is getting  more  and more off topic, so I'll
not ask any further questions.

thanks very much for taking the time to advise!

yours,
mourik jan