[Samba] "Too many open files" error

Nicolas Gieczewski spam at nixsoftware.n0sp4m.com
Fri Aug 8 16:32:41 GMT 2003

Are you running anything new on the box that you weren't running before
this week? There may be a process leaking file descriptors. Last week I tried
a program from the FreeBSD ports collection (Privoxy) and found out it was
making calls to the non-thread-safe gethostbyname() and leaking one file
descriptor each time it resolved a hostname, quickly exhausting my kernel's
open file limit.

I have absolutely no idea how Solaris works, but on FreeBSD you can check
the open file limit and the currently open file count as follows respectively:

sysctl kern.maxfiles
sysctl kern.openfiles

Killing the offending process immediately freed up the leaked descriptors.

Cheers,

Nicolas Gieczewski
Nix Software Solutions
http://www.nixsoftware.com/