[Samba] winbind timeouts

Chris Douglass ALLEN.C.DOUGLASS at saic.com
Fri Aug 8 15:22:45 GMT 2003

On Fri, 2003-08-08 at 14:45, Gerald (Jerry) Carter wrote:

> On Fri, 8 Aug 2003, Douglass, Chris wrote:
>
> > Yes I am; but the offending domain is not AD. With an NT4 domain, this
> > would be WINS only, right? I have 4 corporate wide WINS servers
> > available to me. If I do 'net lookup dc <PROBLEM_NT4_DOMAIN>' I get a
> > list of 24 IP's. Almost 1/2 of them have no entry in DNS, and 'wbinfo
> > -I' also show no hostname. Barring a bad master browse list, where else
> > can this come from?
>
> What you really need to run is
>
> 	nmblookup -U <wins ip> -R 'PROBLEM_NT4_DOMAIN#1c'
>
> and see what IP's are returned.  DNS is not used to locate
> a list of mixed mode AD or NT4 domain controllers.  Are there
> IP's in th list that are dead?

There are 25 IP's that show as a result of this command.
wbinfo -I <IP_ADDR> on each IP shows 14 that resolve to a name
piping the IP's to nslookup shows 10 NXDOMAIN entries (not applicable
really, but the 'standard' for them is to have an A record for servers,
at least)
piping the IP's to ping shows 10 IP's with 100% packet loss.
It may be important to note that this domain primarily houses mail (MS
Exchange) servers, which all respond to ldap packets.

> btw...are you running 3.0beta?  or 2.2.x?

3.0beta3. I pulled CVS yesterday, but have not installed/compiled it.
This might be a seperate issue, but another bit of info is that if I try
to use 'net lookup ldap <DOMAIN>', I get this in syslog:
[2003/08/08 11:19:13, 0] lib/charcnv.c:convert_string(194)
  convert_string: Required 26, available 16
When I specify a different domain, I get the same message with a
different required length. Google turns up others with this, but no
solution. What's wrong here?
-Chris