[Samba] PDC Functions

Brad Langhorst brad at langhorst.com
Fri Aug 8 04:19:28 GMT 2003

On Thu, 2003-08-07 at 23:33, Mike Miller wrote:
> Well The windows 2000 machine is trying to obtain the SID for a user
> [domain\username],
is that 2k machine joined to the samba domain?
the SID is not really a secret so i don't know why it would be tight
about them
if the sid is just the machine's SID + a user ID
2*UID+2 (if i recall correctly)
you can determine the samba machine's SID with
rpcclient (lsaquery command)

> but it is very tight about such security of the users'
> SIDs.
windows is tight or samba is tight?

> It _will_ give me a list of users, but not their SIDs in order to
> assign file permissions to these users.
there should be no users on the win2k machine in a pdc environment.

Are you trying to migrate to samba?
There is tool to suck out the info from an NT4 pdc (vampire)
but I'm not aware of any tool to migrate from 2k to samba.

I don't know how to determine the SIDs of your 2k users but they must be
in the 2k user manager somewhere.

What's stopping you from just recreating all the users on the new PDC?

I don't really understand what you're trying to do... sorry

brad