Printing woes - Log Level 9 still doesn't error!

Martyn Ranyard ranyardm at lineone.net
Sun Jan 27 20:40:09 GMT 2002

Okay, I may not understand the log files at level 9, but I can grep them
for the word error, and it doesn't appear once.

No matter what I do, I cannot see the printers in the server in the
Printers folder.

One other thing, I downloaded 2.2.2 and have now got that running, but
still no joy, and the following configure leaves me with programs expecting
smb.conf to be in /usr/lib/  !!!  Surely the sysconfdir should do this, why
does sambe require it's config files as a different option than sysconfdir.

./configure --prefix=/usr --datadir=/usr/share/samba
--sysconfdir=/etc/samba --localstatedir=/usr/local/samba/var
--with-privatedir=/etc/samba/private --with-lockdir=/var/lock/samba
--with-smbwrapper --with-smbmount

I realise now, and I will recompile over the weekend, but not until, as for
the moment a symlink will suffice.  It's just a little annoying to find
this out.

A big help for people upgrading from packaged versions to source versions
would be to include an example filename in the configure help so they can
do a locate, and ensure that all files are overwritten in situ.

Oh, and here's the log file.  The original information is in my post
"totally different new printing problem" at
http://lists.samba.org/pipermail/samba/2002-January/065032.html (watch that
wrap)

Martyn Ranyard