ghost machines, revisited

Kohei Yoshida kyoshida at mesco.com
Thu Jan 3 11:07:37 GMT 2002

On Thu, 2002-01-03 at 13:44, Keith Warno wrote:

> James W. Beauchamp wrote:
>
> > Keith:
> > I may be missing something here, but are you saying that when you shutdown
> > both samba servers they remain in the  browse lists of the windoze machines?
> > If so, I think this is normal since you have removed the WINS server from
> > the network.  Now your windoze machines just keep cached what the last
> > 'view' of the network was.
> >
> > My apologies if you are talking about something different.
> >

> Heh.  Not quite what I was trying to say. :D
>
> Samba servers remain online.  They've been online for quite a while.
> What I'm saying is the windows machines (in this case, win2000, all of
> which are in the same workgroup; there is no domain here) always appear
> in the browse lists whether the given windows client in question is
> online or not.  By example:
>
> - winboxA and winboxB, both online.  Both in browse lists.  All is happy.
> - winboxB is shutdown.  winboxA still sees winboxB listed in the browse
> list.  winboxB will in fact remain in the list for what seems like
> forever, regardless of winboxB actually being online or not.
>
> Same thing happens with workgroups.  A while ago there were a bunch of
> clients in here and they all brought their laptops in (and hence their
> own "workgroup" settings, from windoze' perspective).  Since then (about
> 3 weeks ago), all of such workgroups (now "ghosts") have remained in the
> browse listings.  Unnecessary clutter and I do not know who
> (samba/win2k) is causing it.  :/
>
> Now that it's clarified: thoughts/ideas??  :)

I can't verify this myself since I'm currently away from my desk, but
there are two files named browse.dat and wins.dat which seem to store
the names of machines/workgroup among other things.  They are located in
/usr/local/samba/var/locks if the samba is installed in
/usr/local/samba.  Maybe you can edit them to get rid of the ghost
machines/workgroups?  Just a thought.

Kohei