timezones not properly reflected on timestamps of files

Hieb, Michael Hieb at WESTPORT.MSMAIL.AIGFPC.COM
Fri Dec 4 19:10:00 GMT 1998

I have read the documentation, performed the diagnostic tests, checked
the archives, so if the answer is there, please accept my apologies in
advance and simply direct me.

I am running redhat Linux 2.0.3 and using smbmount to mount several
directories from NT3.51 servers which are distributed gloablly in
different timezones. Once mounted the files all have local timestamps
which makes syncing impossible. Further, if a file is written from the
Linux box, the file will have the Linux local timestamp on it, on the NT
server, even if that time is in the future from the point of view of the
local server.

1. I have run zic -l GB to set up timezones properly on the Linux box
and see the TZ is properly set.
[root at lnxuk1 /root]# zic -l GB
[root at lnxuk1 /root]# exit
[hieb at lnxuk1 hieb]$ echo $TZ
GMT
[hieb at lnxuk1 hieb]$ sh -c 'TZ=UTC0 date'
Fri Dec  4 19:04:04 UTC 1998
[hieb at lnxuk1 hieb]$

(note Linux is running in the UK, five hours ahead of the server)

2. The time and timezone is properly set on the NT boxes, and seems to
be recognized as such by samba.
[hieb at lnxuk1 hieb]$  smbclient -L ntsrv2
Added interface ip=137.100.48.64 bcast=137.100.63.255
nmask=255.255.240.0
Server time is Fri Dec  4 14:04:09 1998
Timezone is UTC-5.0
Password:

(note the server is on the East Coast of the US, thus UTC-5.0)

So why are the timezones not reflected in the timestamps? Any help
greatly appreciated.

Michael