samba 2.2.8/unexpected.c VMS suppressing storing of mis-dire cted packets.

COLLOT Jean-Yves jean-yves.collot at cofiroute.fr
Mon Oct 11 10:03:49 GMT 2004

Actually, there is a reason.

I don't really know why, but I have on my site quite a big number of those
packets supposed to be kept temporarily in UNEXPECTED.TDB

Since Dave Jones provided a new set of TDB routines, based upon RMS indexed
files, such an activity of insert/delete records in that file provoked,
after a few days or a few weeks, very bad performances, and high I/O
activity on that file, because it became badly fragmented.

To fix this, I had 2 choices:
1. Run every few days a procedure that should stop samba, convert
UNEXPECTED.TDB and restart samba.
2. suppress the store/delete of the packets in UNEXPECTED.TDB

It may not be the best choice, but as far as nobody here is interested in
those unexpected packets anyway, and stopping/restarting samba is quite
perturbing for the users, I decided to stop storing that information.

I think it would have been better to add some specific VMS Global Parameter
for enabling or disabling this feature, but I guess that at that time I was
in some hurry, so I just disabled the storage and forgot about it since.

JY