Samba 2.2.4 saveset download trouble

Alder ue191 at victoria.tc.ca
Sun Oct 13 03:50:45 GMT 2002

TCPIP Services for OpenVMS 5.0
OpenVMS 7.2

OK, I plead ignorance.  Could someone please sort me out on why the
source archive on the download site changes its file extension from
".zip" to ".zip-gz" or ".gz" depending on the browser I use?  The first
variation occurs using Netscape 7 (Windows) and LYnx 2.8.3 (VMS).  The
second variation is using MSIE 6.  The site, and all the posts I've read
in this list, indicate that the archive is a genuine Info-ZIP file, but
it's being treated by these browsers as if it's a GZIP archive.  Even
the BACKUP command has trouble with the unzipped saveset after the
download, suggesting trouble with the download.

I downloaded it a couple of times directly onto my VMS machine using
LYnx, but the UNZIP procedure seemed to fail, putting no files into
[dir.source.vms] directory; the [vms] directory actually wound up at the
same level sa the [source] directory?!.  That's why I suspect it isn't
downloading in the correct format.  Either that, or my use of the BACKUP
command is woefully wrong.  This is what I tried:

    $ UNZIP "-V" SAMBA-2_2_4-SRC.ZIP-GZ
    $ CREATE/DIRECTORY [.SAMBA-2_2_4]
    $ BACKUP SAMBA-2_2_4-SRC.BCK/SAVE_SET [.SAMBA-2_2_4]

I'd sure appreciate some help sorting this out.  Thanks.

Alder