A browsing problem with a new installation

John E. Malmberg wb8tyw at qsl.net
Fri Apr 26 04:00:38 GMT 2002

Please set your mailer to plain text only and do not use attachments.
Thank you.

"Mike Liebbe" <Mike.Liebbe at trw.company> wrote:

 > I either am installing or have installed Samba 2.0.6 for Alpha onto
 > a DEC 3000 box named WOODSTOCK and used for development. Woodstock
 > is running VMS 7.3 and TCPIP ver 5.0.
 >
 > The problem symptoms are:
 >
 > 1.  Woodstock shows up in Server Manager with the icon showing it as
 > connected.  The comment "Samba 2.0.6 running on woodstock (OpenVMS)"

So far so good.

 > 2.  Double-clicking or clicking "Computer:shared directories or
 > properties" results in a network path not found error.

 > 3.  From Network Neighborhood, looking in the domain Woodstock appears
 > but attempts to connect to my share result in the network path not
 > found error.

 > 4.  Mapping a drive to woodstock results in network path not found.

 > 5.  Using Run and \\woodstock or it's IP address results in network
 > path not found.

The other issue that has been discovered is that some recent versions of
the Compaq TCPIP require the addition of a /LISTEN flag to the SMBD Service.

Without this the SMBD process will not properly start up.  Apparently
this used to be the default setting.

This is included in the later version of the SAMBA-VMS FAQ, which should
be able to be found by searching for SAMBA, FAQ, and comp.os.vms.

These symptoms otherwise indicate either a network problem, or that the
SAMBA GUEST account is not set up right.  The command file provided for
the installation should have created it correctly though.

 > 6.  Using smbclient.exe "-L" <server> returns a list of shares on the
 > remote server.

 > 7.  Testparm.exe only reports that the locks directory should be
 > created with 0755 permissions.  The smb.conf file includes a "force
 > create mode 0755" statement under the locks directory entry; which is
 > a follow on to a simple "create mode 0755" statement in previous
 > smb.conf's.

In the SAMBA-VMS FAQ provided with the 2.0.6 distribution this is
discussed.  The message can be ignored.  It's cause has not yet been
determined.

 > My conjecture is there is a netbios problem related to permissions
 > in the locks directory.  But how do I fix it?

It is probably not the locks directory.

 > I'll attach my smb.conf file.

Again, please don't, attachments just show up as unreadable hex dumps to
the digest mode of this list.  HTML also shows up a pages of trash.

 > HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN"> <HTML><HEAD>

[HTML and hex encoded attachment deleted.]

-John
wb8tyw at qsl.network