Solaris 8, samba 2.2.8a, high smbd CPU

M.Maclaren at bath.ac.uk M.Maclaren at bath.ac.uk
Wed May 21 09:10:35 GMT 2003

>> In these cases, smbd logging shows repeated api_DosPrintQGetInfo: uLevel=2
>> client calls - as if the client is not getting an answer it appreciates.
>>   - in the cases I've investigated, the queues have been empty,
>>     and it isn't always the same queue.
>>
>>   use client driver = yes
>>   disable spoolss = yes
>>   printing = sysv
>>   printcap name = /opt/packages/samba/lib/smb.printcap
>>   load printers = yes
>>   lpq cache time = 60

For information, I've tracked down two (Windows98) clients which
appeared to cause the highest smbd CPU usage (due to repeated
api_DosPrintQGetInfo calls) and found an identical cause on each:

  Background "adware" from "Alset", HelpExpress running the processes
  HXIUL.EXE, HELPEXP.EXE and PRINTMONITOR.EXE.

If I find any other similar causes I'll update the list,
Martin