--with-cracklib for Samba

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Thu Jan 16 06:30:01 GMT 2003

On Thu, 2003-01-16 at 16:17, John H Terpstra wrote:
> Pierre,
>
> Sounds interesting. Please keep this going as there is a lot of interest
> in forced secure password change process.

I certainly agree, as the one who put the comment there in the first
place :-).  We already have 'min password age', 'must change time' and
'must change now' working.

Password history is also worth supporting in Samba, but watch out that
you need a long password history and long 'mis password age' before it
actually works.  Even then, we get password1, password2, password3...
unless we store plaintext passwords on disk.

> Strongly suggest getting the official sources updated, as you have already
> suggested. There should be someone who might want to help get this into
> the official code tree. Who knows, might even spawn a security update
> cycle.
>
> - John T.
>
> On Wed, 15 Jan 2003, Pierre Belanger wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Last night I did a "grep -i todo" in the source code, to see
> > if I could contribute a little bit more ;-) I found the
> > following:
> >
> > smbd/chgpasswd.c:   /* TODO:  Add cracklib support here */
> >
> > I started working on this last night (using SAMBA_3_0
> > branch) and do have something working (the "configure.in",
> > documentation, etc is not done yet). I had to make my own
> > "API" to cracklib to make this work because the original API
> > uses getuid() and getpwuid() to get the username and fullname
> > (gecos). I also found a lot of places in the cracklib code
> > that is really not "full-proof". So... in the search for
> > a better solution:
> >
> > Tonight, I checked the "cracklib" included in "npasswd".
> > (I found a bug, it's also in the original cracklib!!!)
> > There isn't a better "API", still uses getuid()/getpwuid().

Yes - that is a problem.  We could cope, and use a 'become_user()' kind
of thing, but it's not pretty (particularly as we move aways from a
direct posix base, to a more NT abstraction layer).  Heimdal kerberos
supports 'password quality checking' and their example cracklib checker
had such a patch, giving a slightly sane interface.

So, while others have noticed, nobody has really got around to fixing
it.  Sounds like a good time to start.

> > If the original cracklib or npasswd's cracklib is a
> > good idea for Samba, I'll contact the maintainer for both
> > products and see if they agree to "update" their code with
> > the new API and also update their download site(s). I have
> > the feeling "cracklib original" is quite dead unless there
> > is a new maintainer (found nothing on sourceforge /
> > freshmeat) and might have better chances with the cracklib
> > included in npasswd.
> >
> > Besides using cracklib for password changing, I thought
> > of the following idea. Once "cracklib" is enable, have
> > an attribute in smb.conf "force password change = yes".
> > Then at logon if the password is found by cracklib, force
> > the user to change their password right away. That's for
> > Samba 3.0.1 ;-) unless I easily find how to do this!
> > If you have other ideas let me know.

The problem here is that Samba doesn't have the plaintext password very
often - the password change is one of the few places, the rest of the
time we use challenge/response systems.

But running one of l0phtcrak's products (or similar) over the smbpasswd
file will certainly find the dictionary passwords pretty quickly.  You
can disable them manually from there.

> > Do I continue working on this or not?

Most certainly.

In the meantime, I would not object to such code being added directly to
Samba, or this being added to our plugin system - but I'll take comment
from the rest of the team on this.

Andrew Bartlett                                 abartlet at pcug.org.au
Manager, Authentication Subsystems, Samba Team  abartlet at samba.org
Student Network Administrator, Hawker College   abartlet at hawkerc.net