(no subject)

Richard Sharpe rsharpe at ns.aus.com
Sun Jun 30 00:01:02 GMT 2002

On Sun, 30 Jun 2002, Simo Sorce wrote:

> On Sat, 2002-06-29 at 20:54, Terry Davis wrote:
> > I created them on the server, NOT via samba.  But there has to be a way
> > for samba to recognize this and display the right contents to the user.
>
> It is not that easy.

Indeed ... We need a case-independent file system :-)

> We may think of sending back the mangled name if these files are found,
> but that would mean that every time a directory listing is retrieved, we
> should lower case every file and check in the list if any file has a
> duplicate, and if it is true substitute the duplicate with a mangled
> name.
>
> now try to do that in a directory with 10.000 files and not timeout ...

Now that is an interesting number. I am seeing all sorts of interesting
N^2 behaviour on a file system I am working with ATM up to about 6,000
files and after that, linear.

Regards
-----
Richard Sharpe, rsharpe at ns.aus.com, rsharpe at samba.org,