VCs, MaxNumberVCs, SessionKey

Raghu Iyer riyer at kuokoa.com
Fri Jun 28 07:51:02 GMT 2002

Hi,

Can a SMB expert help me understand how VcNumber,
MaxNumberVCs, SessionKey are used in the SMB protocol
with some examples and commands that can be issued
from a NT/W2K client to a NT/W2K/Samba Server to
experiment with.

Is there a good reference that can illustrate the concepts
behind these parameters ? I have gone through the
CIFS mailing list on discuss.microsoft.com and have a
very hazy idea. I have not been able to produce sessions
where - MaxNumberVCs is > 1 OR where SessionKey
is != 0 OR where VcNumber is != 0. So I fail to appreciate
under what circumstances these parameters change.

Thanks in Advance,
Raghu