Very bad performance when copying large files from windows to samba-share

MCCALL,DON (HP-USA,ex1) don_mccall at hp.com
Mon Jun 24 12:47:31 GMT 2002

Interesting;
it's fairly obvious  from the trace that your server is doing SOMETHING for
the ~45 seconds
between the initial smb write request of 0 bytes at offset whatever, and the
evenuual reply.
I am not familiar with the version of unix you are using (I'm an HPUX guy
myself) but I would
concentrate at this point on finding some tool like sar, or something that
would let you see
WHAT's going on ON THE BOX during these 45 seconds of apparent network
inactivity.  Even something
as simple as doing repetitive du's or lls on the directory where the file is
being created, and watch
for block/file increases during this time would tell you if your os is
'filling up' space for the
write...
Just a thought,
Don