proposal: libsmbclient functionality addition

Richard Sharpe rsharpe at ns.aus.com
Wed Jun 19 13:47:33 GMT 2002

On Wed, 19 Jun 2002, Tom Jansen wrote:

> Hi,
>
> > > and make all the functions use current_handle as the handle.
> >
> > NO.
> >
> > Please NO.  I *really* would like to see this move in the opposite
> > direction - with all function taking a context and using it.  It
> > *really* isn't that hard to change and it eliminates all sorts of
> > bugs.
>
> Alright, I can see your point. I personally don't mind to change the interface.
> I'll get working on at it right away if Richard approves too. I assume this will
> be samba3.0 stuff so no backporting to the stable branch is necessary (at least
> not yet).

The problem I have here is that we do not seem to have asked our user base
what they want.

I can appreciate the need for changes, as I need them myself, but
maintaining backward compatibility may be something that is important,
given that libsmbclient is being shipped with a number of Linux distros
now.

Also, Caldera may want some say, considering they funded the effort
originally.

--
Regards
-----