Advantages of native ADS membership

Steven French sfrench at us.ibm.com
Thu Jan 17 07:52:14 GMT 2002

>Volker wrote:
>
>Assuming that I can access the Samba server from a W2k workstation,
>why would I want to be a kerberized ADS member?

Here are few reasons:
1) You want to be Kerberized for more secure session establishment
2) You want your servers to be an Active Directory member so your servers
show up in the active directory namespace presumably making them easier to
locate
3) You want your servers to be an Active Directory member so you can
leverage some of the existing configuration/management/administration tools
that look in Active Directory for server configuration data.

Steve French
Senior Software Engineer
Linux Technology Center - IBM Austin
phone: 512-838-2294