problems to port the 2.2.2 version to nsr-tandem-nsk. Have you some solutions and comments ?

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at pcug.org.au
Fri Jan 4 16:21:05 GMT 2002

Jean-François COUÏC wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Actually i try to port the samba-2.2.2 version to the NSR-TANDEM-NSK.
> So i download the latest stable version and go.
>
> Some problems stop me on the configure script :
>     - the config.guess use is not the latest from the gnu
>        ->> i download the config.guess from the gnu and continue

I've added the latest (as of early december) config.guess in HEAD.

>     - some of security API (setresuid et setresgid) trap to inspect (fall in
> debugging mode)
>     during the configuring script
>         ->> i do correction to the script generation for the conftest.c
>             Add the use of define detection for this functions
> HAVE_SETRESUID HAVE_SETRESGID
>     - snprintf vsnprintf trap to the inspect..

So are you saying that you have these functions, but the configure isn't
picking them up, or...?   Samba needs certain functions to allow it to
assume the identity of a user (for the duration of a smb call) before
returning to root again - does your os provide this functionality?

As to the snprintf stuff, samba attempts to find a C99 compliant
snprintf, and if not found it will replace it.

>     And problems continue.
>
> Actually i would like to have a configure script that not stop because of a
> trap.
> I correct problems that i found.

Its sounding like your compiler is doing something strange...  Many of
the 'programs' created during configure are designed to *fail*, they
will either not run, or run and fail.  This allows the configure script
to tell if certain functionality is available.  Your compiler certainly
shouldn't be launching a debugger or anything like that, it should just
say 'sorry, i can't do that' and continue.

> Is anyone of this list know how to submit these corrections to the samba
> team or the samba project ?

Send patches to samba-patches at samba.org, but read
samba.org/samba-patches first.

> Is anyone have comments to define this port ?
>
> I continue the port to the nsr-tandem-nsk for the 2.2.2.
> Any comments or responses are welcome.

If you want to mess about with HEAD I'll be in a position to apply
legitimate patches - but I think you have bigger problems at the moment.

Andrew Bartlett                                 abartlet at pcug.org.au
Manager, Authentication Subsystems, Samba Team  abartlet at samba.org
Student Network Administrator, Hawker College   abartlet at hawkerc.net