Adding a feature to the smbd

Thomas Langås tlan at stud.ntnu.no
Sun Jan 21 17:23:56 GMT 2001

Simo Sorce:
> Yes, I've forgotten to say "if you have not too much IPs" ;)
> I've also been employed in such a network (in an Italian university) and
> it is not so enjoyable to have hundreds of symlinks.

No, it isn't :-)

> Another way I'm thinking of is to have a different samba configuration for
> every lab maybe using netbios aliases, this way every lab may have it's
> own shares and profiles. But this really depend on your configuration and,
> may be, not suitable.

We're gonna use this patch for profile shares, and we have a central
userdatabase with _all_ students (roughly 20000) and _all_ employees (don't
know the exact number there), and we set the profile-directory there as
something like:
\\%profileserver%\%profileshare%\%U%\%profiletype%

Then, this is set on each client computer. And now, that we're having
profiles over samba this becomes:
\\sambaservers\%profileshare%\%U%\%profiletype%

So up untill now, we've been doing this like this:
\\sambaservers\profilxxx\%U%\%profiletype%

Where profilxxx was for each lab. This isn't actually a very good solution
since we need to maintain a lot of shares. This is when I thought of giving
samba the ability of a dynamic-share, which resulted in the patch. So after
the weekend we're gonna start using this:

\\sambaservers\profiles\%U%\%profiletype%

Where the [profiles]-share will be a dynamic share.

--
-Thomas