I think MS just did us (and themselves) a disservice.

Welsh, Armand armand.welsh at sscims.com
Wed Jan 10 16:53:33 GMT 2001

You still can, only now you have to drop to a DOS (or CMD) prompt and use
the net.exe utility.

c:\> NET USE x: \\SERVER\SHARE /USER:domain/username

This attaches you to the share as the requested user.  The problem only
appears when you try to access the same server as two different users.
Microsoft claims to not support this at the client for security reasons, yet
some systems work, while other don't.  So their claim is just a smoke screen
to try and eliminate the need for a fix.