libsmbclient: Browsing and a URI spec?

Kevin Colby kevinc at grainsystems.com
Thu Jan 4 22:59:32 GMT 2001

"Christopher R. Hertel" wrote:

> > Yes, Samba won't care.  I'm not even suggesting the smb.conf file should
> > support it.  My question is simply, "To an SMB client, what does the
> > 'workgroup' in smb.conf mean?"  The default auth domain?  Or the default
> > browsing workgroup?  What the other parameter should or could be hinges
> > on the answer to this question.
>
> I think that the answer is fairly obvious.  Smb.conf already supports the
> WORKGROUP parameter.  A workgroup does not provide an authentication
> server, only an NTDomain provides an authentication server.

Yes, but it has also been pointed out that an NT domain is also workgroup.
I know the smb.conf parameter is named "workgroup".  That's immaterial.

I would answer the question myself, but I don't think I fully understand
the scenario where there would be a difference, and that is the only
scenario where this matters.  In such a scenario, where you want to browse
to "browsewg" and authenticate off "authdm"'s DC, which name is more
likely to be the "workgroup" listed in smb.conf and used by the Samba
server processes?  Since Samba may well be a domain member, passing on
authentication of users itself, would it not have "workgroup=authdm"?
I think the details of such a situation may be helpful.

	- Kevin Colby
	  kevinc at grainsystems.com