libsmbclient: Browsing and a URI spec?

Kevin Colby kevinc at grainsystems.com
Thu Jan 4 21:49:46 GMT 2001

"Christopher R. Hertel" wrote:

> Quick asside.  Richard pointed out that server ennumeration is done via an
> SMB connection as is share ennumeration.

Okay, so you can add the userinfo section to the workgroup browsing syntax.
I really just wanted to illustrate the distinction between domain and
workgroup as defined in the URI syntax.

> > The question is, "If an SMB client inherited the same machine's server's
> > "workgroup" parameter, what should it mean to the client?"  Does it mean
> > that the client should by default send "workgroup\user" as auth info
> > or does it mean the client should default browse to "workgroup"?  If
> > those are the same thing, no problem, but in the case where they are not,
> > what does "workgroup" in smb.conf mean?
>
> If we are using smb.conf, then WORKGROUP means both *unless* the AUTH
> DOMAIN parameter is also specified.

The "workgroup" from smb.conf means both unless the "other" parameter is
also specified.  What I am questioning is whether the "other" parameter
should refer to the "auth domain" as per the URI syntax or the "default
workgroup" of the URI syntax.  It could be either.  However, since we
are trying to inherit one from smb.conf already, we should choose which
based on what the one we have already means to a client.

> Again, I have no idea--off hand--what Samba would do with such a
> parameter.  It could ignore it, I suppose.

Yes, Samba won't care.  I'm not even suggesting the smb.conf file should
support it.  My question is simply, "To an SMB client, what does the
'workgroup' in smb.conf mean?"  The default auth domain?  Or the default
browsing workgroup?  What the other parameter should or could be hinges
on the answer to this question.

	- Kevin Colby
	  kevinc at grainsystems.com