libsmbclient and browsing: dirents and entry type ...

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Mon Jan 1 14:55:02 GMT 2001

Richard Sharpe wrote:
> The normal paradigm that I expect to be used is:
>
>    dirp = smbc_opendir("smb://");
>
>    while (dir = readdir(dirp)) {

I strongly recommend *against* shoe-horning the SAMBA browsing stuff
into the "standard" directory functions - no two UNIX's use the
same dirent structure (in fact, some use a structure named "direct")

If instead you provide your own smbc_dirent structure, it can
contain the smbc_stat values.

> from among:
>
>   SMBC_ALL_WORKGROUPS or SMBC_TOP
>   SMBC_WORKGROUP
>   SMBC_SERVER
>   SMBC_SHARE
>   SMBC_DIR
>   SMBC_FILE
>   SMBC_LINK???

I think you'll want to identify the type of share - directory or
printer or whatever.  Other than that, it looks like enough
information to implement all sorts of applications.

Michael Sweet, Easy Software Products                  mike at easysw.com