dce/rpc "client" api

Jeremy Allison jeremy at valinux.com
Wed Aug 23 16:49:29 GMT 2000

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:

> take a look at api_NetWkstaUserInfo.  what parallels do you see between
> the data returned and the full NT user3 struct?
>
> to my eye, they look pretty much the same.

Of course they are. api_NetWkstaUserInfo returns a user3 struct
by definition.

> now compare api_NetWkstaUserInfo in TNG and head.  you will see that one
> "fakes" up the info returned, whilst the other returns the _correct_ info
> as obtained from the NT user3 struct made by the SamrNetLogon call
> required to authenticate the user in reply_sesssetupx().
>
> so now you realise _why_ TNG carries around what you consider to be
> unnecessary baggage.

No - there's no need to carry that stuff around in every
vuid struct.

Only carry around the bits you need to do the authorization,
ie. a user token.

Funnyly enough, that's what NT does :-). Read the NT internals
book - they don't pass around full user3 structs internally
(as TNG does).

Jeremy.