"map archive" issues?

John E. Malmberg wb8tyw at qsl.net
Tue Aug 22 22:29:00 GMT 2000

<acherry at pobox.company> wrote:

> I've been thinking about adding an smb.conf option to explicitly set which
> UNIX permissions bit is associated with the Archive attribute, so I
> can have migrated files appear as "archived"

I would recommend not doing this.  The appropriate attribute to set when a
file is migrated is usually labled something like "shelved".

I do not know if there is a specific attribute bit for this identified now
for the NetBios protocol, but I would expect there to be some equivalent
feature, since HSM is supposed to be integrated in Windows 2000 server.

Also there may be software that explicitly checks to see that a newly
created file has the archive bit set.  I can not really think of a good
reason why they would do this, but there are a lot of things that I see
alledged programmers do that make no sense.

-John
wb8tyw at qsl.network