dce/rpc "client" api

Gerald Carter gcarter at valinux.com
Mon Aug 21 16:15:57 GMT 2000

Sander Striker wrote:

> Could you please give me a short insight between the
> diffs between ONC/RPC and DCE/RPC? Maybe a pointer
> to ONC/RPC?

ONC/RPC is what Sun implemented.  And pretty much
every one else.  The O'Reilly book on "Power
Programming with RPC" is based on the Sun implementation
IIRC.

> Granted. However, if this code is used to do
> a proper implementation of dce/rpc including dce/rpc
> over smb, there are going to be conflicts. I mean,
> a dce/rpc endpointmapper provides easy extendability
> to services provided. Samba would need a proprietary
> way...

I was under the impression that each transport
layer would have its own endport mapper.  For example,
a dce/rpc over SMB would listen on port 139 (or 445
depending).  A dce/rpc over TCP would listen on
another published port.

Cheers, jerry
 \/    http://www.valinux.com  VA Linux Systems    gcarter at valinux.com
       http://www.samba.org       SAMBA Team           jerry at samba.org