Docs/Specs

Gerald Carter gcarter at valinux.com
Fri Aug 18 04:07:57 GMT 2000

"Christopher R. Hertel" wrote:

> The problem is that Samba itself is the result of
> both the docs you've already found and
> reverse-engineering work.  That means that we don't
> always know why the protocol does what it does, and
> we also have a moving target.  That's tough to document.
>
> Best bet is to ask good technical questions.

I think there are also other issues here besides ones
relating to protocols.  For example,

* Samba locking semantincs
* the smb.conf parsing routines (and adding parameters)
* the RPC marshalling/unmarshalling routines
* the various TDB's
* etc...

These are the internal issues I was thinking of
in my first reply.  The HEAD branch is around 200 KLOC
now.  Quite a large project to grab a hold of.

I think it is most helpful to concentrate on a small area
and use a symbolic debugger to step through the code.
That has helped me the most.  Then as you become more
familar with the internal data structures, the code becomes
more readable.

And I would encourage more comments in the code as well.
:-)

Cheers, jerry
 \/    http://www.valinux.com  VA Linux Systems    gcarter at valinux.com
       http://www.samba.org       SAMBA Team           jerry at samba.org