220a3 is working - feedback and an issue with sockets

Eric Hughes 1erichughes1 at home.com
Sat Mar 24 21:56:15 GMT 2001

I'm a Linux newbee and have been playing with samba in an attempt to not buy
M$ NT server. After several weeks of fiddling around I have a functional
PDC!  I upgraded from 2.0.7 to 220a2 then to 220a3.  I had to fool around
with the smbpasswd file several times as smbd was saying it was corrupt. I
managed to fix smbpasswd using the smbd.log file (good stuff in there).

I have the following setup:

Box 1 - Win98se: 'Max733' All shares grant permission only to Domain Users
(not everyone)
Box 2 - WinNTsp6: 'NT1' All shares grant permission only to Domain Users
(not everyone)
Box 3 - Linux RH7: 'LINUX1'

FEEDBACK:

1) User level shares are working for the two groups you defined to work
(Domain Admins and Domain Users):

Win98se:
I can setup Win98 for User Level shares by pointing it to (Obtain list from)
PROTO_DOAMIN.
I can see Domain admins and Domain users from the Linux PDC and can share
using either of these. (YAHOO!)
I cannot see individual users on the domain.
I can access all shares on the NT and Linux boxes.

WinNTsp6:
I can join the domain by manually setting passwords and computer accounts on
the PDC. Doing this from the network properties when joining the domain
(create an account...) still has issues (will not create the account).
I can see all domain users- only Domain Admins and Domain Users work for
sharing- others get the infamous Unknown Account error.
I can see and access all Win98/Linux shares.

Linux1:
I can see and access all Win98 and NT shares when logged on as a domain user
(not root).

SOCKET ISSUE:

Here's the only issue and it's probably related to my smbd.conf. Only the
default socket option (TCP_NODELAY) is entered in SWAT. Note that I left the
Domain Master and Perfered master in thier 'Auto' selections.

log.smbd:
[2001/03/24 12:59:11, 0] lib/util_sock.c:set_socket_options(165)
Failed to set socket option SO_KEEPALIVE (Error Bad file descriptor)
[2001/03/24 12:59:11, 0] lib/util_sock.c:set_socket_options(165)
Failed to set socket option TCP_NODELAY (Error Socket operation on
non-socket)

log.nmbd:
[2001/03/24 13:54:54, 0] nmbd/asyncdns.c:start_async_dns(150)
  started asyncdns process 2137
[2001/03/24 13:54:54, 0] nmbd/nmbd_logonnames.c:add_logon_names(158)
  add_domain_logon_names:
  Attempting to become logon server for workgroup PROTO_DOMAIN on subnet
192.168.0.61
[2001/03/24 13:54:54, 0] nmbd/nmbd_logonnames.c:add_logon_names(158)
  add_domain_logon_names:
  Attempting to become logon server for workgroup PROTO_DOMAIN on subnet
UNICAST_SUBNET
[2001/03/24 13:54:54, 0]
nmbd/nmbd_become_dmb.c:become_domain_master_browser_wins(341)
  become_domain_master_browser_wins:
  Attempting to become domain master browser on workgroup PROTO_DOMAIN,
subnet UNICAST_SUBNET.
[2001/03/24 13:54:54, 0]
nmbd/nmbd_become_dmb.c:become_domain_master_browser_wins(356)
  become_domain_master_browser_wins: querying WINS server at IP 192.168.0.61
for domain master browser name PROTO_DOMAIN<1b> on workgroup PROTO_DOMAIN
[2001/03/24 13:54:54, 0]
nmbd/nmbd_logonnames.c:become_logon_server_success(117)
  become_logon_server_success: Samba is now a logon server for workgroup
PROTO_DOMAIN on subnet UNICAST_SUBNET
[2001/03/24 13:54:54, 0]
nmbd/nmbd_become_dmb.c:become_domain_master_stage2(117)
  *****

  Samba server LINUX1 is now a domain master browser for workgroup
PROTO_DOMAIN on subnet UNICAST_SUBNET

  *****
[2001/03/24 13:54:54, 0]
nmbd/nmbd_become_dmb.c:become_domain_master_browser_bcast(293)
  become_domain_master_browser_bcast:
  Attempting to become domain master browser on workgroup PROTO_DOMAIN on
subnet 192.168.0.61
[2001/03/24 13:54:54, 0]
nmbd/nmbd_become_dmb.c:become_domain_master_browser_bcast(307)
  become_domain_master_browser_bcast: querying subnet 192.168.0.61 for
domain master browser on workgroup PROTO_DOMAIN
[2001/03/24 13:54:59, 0]
nmbd/nmbd_logonnames.c:become_logon_server_success(117)
  become_logon_server_success: Samba is now a logon server for workgroup
PROTO_DOMAIN on subnet 192.168.0.61
[2001/03/24 13:55:03, 0]
nmbd/nmbd_become_dmb.c:become_domain_master_stage2(117)
  *****

  Samba server LINUX1 is now a domain master browser for workgroup
PROTO_DOMAIN on subnet 192.168.0.61

  *****
[2001/03/24 13:55:17, 0]
nmbd/nmbd_become_lmb.c:become_local_master_stage2(405)
  *****

  Samba name server LINUX1 is now a local master browser for workgroup
PROTO_DOMAIN on subnet 192.168.0.61

  *****

Here's the smbd.conf:
[global]
	workgroup = PROTO_DOMAIN
	netbios name = LINUX1
	encrypt passwords = Yes
	domain groups = @PROTO
	domain admin group = @PROTO
	domain logons = Yes
	wins support = Yes
[samba_alpha]
	path = /samba_alpha
	read only = No
	inherit permissions = Yes
[homes]
	path = /home/%u/
	force group = @PROTO
	read only = No
	inherit permissions = Yes
[profiles]
	path = /PROFILE_SERVER/%u
	read only = No
[samba]
	path = /usr/local/samba/
	force group = @PROTO
	read only = yes
[netlogon]
	path = /home/netlogon/

If you could provide guidance on squashing this last issue I would be very
grateful.

Thanks for the hard work in getting samba up and running as a NT PDC!