RH 7.0 and Winbind in an NT4.0 domain

Patrick Spinler spinler.patrick at mayo.edu
Tue Feb 27 00:48:07 GMT 2001

Just FYI:

I am still unable to get a working system, running the latest winbindd
out of cvs branch APPLIANCE_TNG today.  From the error "winbindd -d100"
spits at me, I guess that it's a domain trust issue (since my
workstation is in one domain 'RCHWKS', and my test domain id is in a
second domain 'MC', which 'RCHWKS' trusts).  It's only a wild ass guess,
though.

(winbind log info here from a pam login attempt here)
  adding trusted domain MC
  adding trusted domain RCH
  server: dc=RWKSRV00, pwdb_init=1, lsa_hnd=1
  RCH: dc=, got_sid=0, sam_hnd=0 sam_dom_hnd=0
  MC: dc=, got_sid=0, sam_hnd=0 sam_dom_hnd=0
  RCHWKS: dc=, got_sid=0, sam_hnd=0 sam_dom_hnd=0
  accepted socket 10
  [ 1220]: pam auth mc/pjs11
  could not get trust password for domain MC

I can see some intregeing stuff with the wbinfo command, but getent
passwd (or group) shows nothing beyond my local passwd/group database.

I just did a little tracing through the code.  The "could not get trust
account password" error is being generated because the trust password is
not in the secrets database

 nsswitch/winbindd_misc.c:_get_trust_account_passwd()
   calling
   secrets/secrets.c:secrets_fetch()

but I'm unclear where in the code path, if anywhere, the domain trust
account is supposed to be obtained and stored in the secrets database.

More investigation as time permits.  If anyone has any clues, please
help.

-- Pat

--
      This message does not represent the policies or positions
	     of the Mayo Foundation or its subsidiaries.