Can not connect to samba server

Robby Tanner rtanner at cls.usask.ca
Tue Dec 18 19:18:02 GMT 2001

Hello all,

I have a RHL 7.1 server with Samba 2.0 (not sure of actual version, but I
can get it if need be) on a Win2K run network.  The network has XP NT4.0 and
98 workstations and so is not running in "native" mode, as I understand.

I have configured the samba server and it is running on the network.  I can
ping the server and see it in Microsoft Windows, however, there is no + sign
beside the machine icon to show that there is a share.

I have shared a dir /pub with guest ok, writeable, browseable, printable and
just about everything else imaginable = true.  When I click on the machine
however, I get an "\\Cmpt065 is inaccessible" or "Could not find a path to
\\Cmpt065" error.

I'm sure that it is just a matter of getting smb.conf sorted out (well, I
hope anyway) and would greatly appreciate any help any could provide.

Regards,
Rob