How to allow a W2K machine join a domain with Samba 2.2alpha3 PDC

Elliot Mackenzie s354199 at student.uq.edu.au
Fri Apr 13 01:35:03 GMT 2001

In alpha 3, you must specify the user root in your admin list.

In alpha 3, you can only use root and the root password to get a machine to
join the domain the first time (this is obviously different to logging on
when you can log on as any valid user in smb.conf).

Stick:
domain admin group = @adm
in smb.conf

make sure root is in the system group adm.

If you followed the PDC HOWTO, then you would need to add a line similar to
(smb.conf):
add user script = /usr/sbin/adduser -n -g machines -c Machine -d
/dev/null -s /bin/false %m$
After manually creating the machines system group.

I am 90% sure that root must also exist in smbpasswd (I don't happen to have
access to my terminal from this machine :) ).

The problems I was having when I was trying to set up alpha 3 for the first
time were because of a corrupt smbpasswd file - I started from scratch,
added user root, and all was well :)

You need to stick the machine name in the /etc/passwd (you can do it
automatically using the line above) for a few reasons: samba becomes
whatever user you connect as (you don't want machines running around with
root acces for no good reason), and so samba can recognise and store the
machines registration information (what is negotiated between windows and
samba when you first join the domain).  There are probably other reasons
too, but I am just happy to accept that this is what I need to do to keep
samba running happily as a PDC - and it seems to be pretty stable too :)

Hope this helps,
Elliot.