Caution Stoopid Newbie

McEldowney, Michael MMcEldowney at deltaregional.com
Wed Apr 4 15:57:11 GMT 2001

JSW,

You _can_ replace your NT boxes with Samba.  I've done it with great
success and little difficulty.  Your making the right choice when you
do.  Linux/Samba is more stable, more secure, and _MUCH_ cheaper than
NT.

One other note, you really don't need additional authentication methods,
like NIS, unless you want to add additional Linux boxes and/or services
and have a central database for them.  I think you'll find, however,
that many utilities for authenticating against Samba have been written.
For instance, my Squid proxy authenticates against Samba with the help
of smb_auth.  Works perfectly.

And welcome to Opensource!  It's the best you can get.

Mike