Caution Stoopid Newbie

Jonathan W Miner Jonathan.W.Miner at lmco.com
Wed Apr 4 12:17:06 GMT 2001

Jet Set Willy wrote:

> I am runing Mandrake 7.1 (if that makes a difference) and have
> managed to get samba running quite well ( verion 2.0.6) ie I
> can see shares copy files from my win98 machine and so on.
> Works perfectly. Now what I really want  (what I really really want)
> is to be able to login to the linux box from the 98 machine.

For basic networks, Samba 2.0.6 will work as a PDC. There are some
shortcomings, but I forget what they are, and it hasn't bothered me
either.  I use uit at home with a network of Win95, Win98 and NT
machines.  Here is the global section of my smb.conf

[global]
        workgroup = {my domainname}
        encrypt passwords = Yes
        log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
        max log size = 50
        time server = Yes
        domain logons = Yes
        preferred master = Yes
        domain master = Yes
        wins support = Yes
        unix realname = Yes
        utmp = Yes

I'm kind of surprised that I don't have "security = server".  According
to the man page for smb.conf, the default is "security = user", it also
says that from the client's point of view the two are the same.  Maybe
someone can clarify this?
 _o)           | LM-Xpress: jonathan.w.miner at lmco.com
 /\\  _o)  _o) | Phone: 603 885 UNIX - Fax: 603 885 3850
_\_V _(\) _(\) | USmail: PO Box 868, NCA01-3719, Nashua, NH 03061-0868