wins

Gerald Carter gcarter at valinux.com
Tue Oct 31 14:23:59 GMT 2000

Steen Jakobsen wrote:

> I have encountered a weird problem on a win95
> client computer. When I run winipcfg on the computer the
> user name is displayed instead of the netbios name.

Don't worry about this.  It is broken but does not seem
to affect the network client functions in my experience.

> The computer can't locate the pdc but is able to ping
> the ip-adress. Therefore I think this could be a problem
> coursed by some malfunction in the netbios-nameresolution
> on the client pc. Wins via dhcp should be activated but I
> am not sure it works on this old operating system.
> I have installed service pack 1 so they system should be
> equal to win95 osr2. In addition I should say that I have no
> problems with another computer with os win98 (log on etc)

I can confirm that "Enable Wins via DHCP" qorks on all releases
of Win9x of which I am aware.  Make sure you have a primary WINS
server IP address displayed in the winipcfg window (and not
just a secondary WINS server).

Cheers, jerry
 \/    http://www.valinux.com/  VA Linux Systems   gcarter at valinux.com
       http://www.samba.org/       SAMBA Team          jerry at samba.org