SAMBA and Win2K Terminal Services

Charles N. Owens owensc at enc.edu
Mon Oct 30 15:12:02 GMT 2000

Synopsis:  it is being reported that the registry fix for NT's SMB 2048 Open File Limitation does NOT
work with Windows2000.  This is a complete showstopper for anyone trying to implement Win2K Terminal
Services with a Samba backend!  Can anyone futher confirm or deny this (and perhaps suggest an
alternate fix?!)?

More rambling below...

Grotnes Per Kjetil PBE-SIT wrote:

> > > You mean the ?
> > > set "nt smb support = no".  You will not get any ACL support and so fort, but the shares will
> > > work fine.
>
> > I have actually tried setting "nt smb support = no" but I couldnt see
> > any different behaviour. Still just one samba-process for the terminalserver.
>
> First I have to correct myself.  Its MultipleUsersOnConnection, DWORD 0x1.

Ummm, actually, according to MS's KB article Q190162, the required value is 0x0... and this matches
my experience as well.  This registry modification saved my butt with NT-TSE.
(link:  http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q190/1/62.asp)

** The question at hand, though, is whether this registry modification has any affect with
Windows2000 Server (under which we now wish to run Terminal Services).  Ulf Norton has reported that
the Q190162 registry fix does not seem to help... ie. after the fix is applied (and the system
rebooted, I presuming) all smb traffic for all users logging in via Terminal Services for a given
Win2K server gets handled on the *nix box by a single smbd daemon.  I haven't had time to verify this
myself but I am very nervous about it... this issue a complete showstopper for anyone trying to do
Win2K Terminal Services with a Samba backend!

Does anyone have any other reports?

  Charles N. Owens                               Email: owensc at enc.edu
                                            http://www.enc.edu/~owensc
  Network & Systems Administrator
  Information Technology Services  "Outside of a dog, a book is a man's
  Eastern Nazarene College         best friend.  Inside of a dog it's
                                   too dark to read." - Groucho Marx