The reason we can't continue using Samba

Gerald Carter gcarter at valinux.com
Thu Oct 5 20:52:47 GMT 2000

Joe Rhett wrote:

> I didn't talk about wants versus code. I said that
> we needed a timeline.
<snip....>

> > We are *attempting* to complete as soon as
> > possible. Keep checking the code to see how far we are along.
>
> What the hell is asap? When someone says asap to me, I
> hear "November", but Gerald's comments clearly indicate
> "maybe March". Those are two different orders of
> magnitude. And given the general crawl of Samba
> development, I would interpret "asap" to mean November,
> 2001. I'm used to interpret Sun & Microsoft's "release
> schedules", to interpret "asap" in terms of Samba is
> to assume 1-2 years unless you say otherwise.

Joe,  You asked for a timeline and we said 2.2.0 out
in beta soon (meaning next few weeks hopefully).  3.0 due
out optimistically Q1 2001.  Jeremy and I and not
saying different things.  We know what our plans are and
are trying to communicate those plans to the Samba community.

People asked for a roadmap.  I've spent the past week
trying to corrdinate volunteer efforts, TODO lists,
roadmaps, etc...

You got your answer.  Why do you persist with this
rude tone of voice?

> Jeremy, it's been 5 years since I got sick of your
> idiotic comments about real problems I was reporting
> and I'm flat out amazed that you haven't grown up the
> slightest in the intervening time period. Some of us
> have real projects, real jobs, real schedules.

ok.  If there is some type of personal history, you should
take it off line.  EOF.

I am personaly ignoring any other messages in this thread
as I have better things to do I see nothing to accomplish
here.

[sigh....sometimes I really think this list should
be moderated....]

jerry
 \/    http://www.valinux.com  VA Linux Systems    gcarter at valinux.com
       http://www.samba.org       SAMBA Team           jerry at samba.org