How does NT choose a DC?

Gene Yee gene_yee at hotmail.com
Tue May 9 23:19:12 GMT 2000

I've seeked help from NT newsgroups, from friends at MS, from countless
books.  Then I started to think who else might have the answer?  Few people
know how MS Domains work better than you guys so here goes:

When a workstation logs onto a domain it can locate a DC via broadcasts or
WINS.  If it is located via broadcast it is obviously going to be the
nearest server.

If it is located via WINS, how does the workstation know not to go
across a slow WAN for authentication?  How does a workstation decide
which DC to use for authentication?