TNG 0.11 - additional password & mounting woes.

Michael Breuer mbreuer at siac.com
Wed Mar 8 16:22:40 GMT 2000

>From a workstation (W2K) which is a member of the domain, most everything works fine.
But... I can't mount shares from a machine
which is not a member of the domain, even if entering valid credentials... even with
guest access.

Related issue (SID problem?):  When a member of the domain is a laptop and connects via a
modem (instead of the office network), it
can not connect to the domain or mount shares.  The domain login works OK (offline), but
when the dial-up connection is established,
all attempts to connect to the domain (samba) result in bad password messages.  Do I need
to join with every possible IP address?

Also... there are still issues with usernamemap.  Despite the smbpasswd users... despite
the usernamemap entry, if the UNIX user
name is in /etc/passwd before the NT user name, Samba becomes confused... sometimes
returning the unix name, sometimes the nt name.

For example, when running user manager for domains, the user names presented are the Unix
names.  When logging in, the NT name is
required, but roaming profiles acquire the Unix user name (this is bad).