Hooking up

Mike Westkamper mjwestkamper at weiinc.com
Fri Jun 16 18:03:24 GMT 2000

Each day I get closer.

I successfully joined the domain, to wit...

[root at auxfs bin]# smbpasswd -j WEIOSB -r weidomosb
2000/06/16 12:20:16 : change_trust_account_password: Changed password for domain
 WEIOSB.
Joined domain WEIOSB.

The big problem remains. None of the windows boxes seem able to browse the
Linux/SAMBA box. The HOSTNAME and NETBIOS names are auxfs. The NT PDC apparently
"sees" auxfs since the Server Administration program reports "Specified Network
Password Incorrect".

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

With this seemingly my last hurdle I offer a couple of observations...

The assistance here is great! SAMBA is a better SMB system than any windows variant.
I appreciate its evolution and the tremendous effort by those here. When the PDC
support is on-line a lot of NT systems will go.

Some things I learned that may help others...

The UNIX permissions must be set since SAMBA relies on the underlying system. This
mentioned on the HOWTO for SWAT but with little detail. I blundered through it,
however still do not know a preferred way to do it. I am still a bit fuzzy about the
permissions and groups as it relates to SAMBA using NT as a PDC. Perhaps a
dissertation on this would be applicable in the HOWTO.

SWAT is a good tool, however it allows you to make some pretty obvious, conflicting
entries. If I knew more about the parameters I would write a JAVA script to help
make it a bit more forgiving. Of course if I knew more about it I wouldn't be asking
all these dumb questions.

Somehow SWAT creates a configuration other than /etc/smb.conf. Or least it appears
so. If I look at /etc/smb.conf I see one thing, if I view the configuration with
SWAT I get another.

Mike