moving from NT-Server to Samba

Günter Bielenberg Bielenberg at t-online.de
Tue Jul 18 00:50:25 GMT 2000

Hi,

this problem still drives me to despair:
I am running a net of about 10 NT4-workstations and a NT4-server as PDC.
Another Linux-2.2-Server routes into the internet. Now I have installed
Samba 2.0.7 to use this server as a PDC. It already stores the profiles
of the users and I think, it also could do this little authentification
job too, so I can remove one of them.
But if I try to take the NT-Server out of the net I am not able to get
my users into the new _old_ net.

What I did:
-created Unix-accounts for every workstation, put them into the
 smbpasswd with 'smbpasswd -a -w <ws>$'
-created Unix-accounts for every user, put them into smbpasswd with
 'smbpasswd -a <user> <password>'
-logged out the workstations out of the domain
-removed the NT-server
-restarted samba with a new smb.conf to act as PDC
-logged in the workstations to the domain (same name, but now on samba)
-got the message: 'successfully joined the domain'

But now the only user who can find his environment is the administrator
of the workstation, all other users get a new desktop, and I cannot log
in as a domain-administrator. So I can't see a way to use my
user-proiles again, which are still on the server.

I include my smb.conf here:

[global]
	workgroup = PEANUTS
	netbios name = LUCY
	server string = Samba %v
	interfaces = 192.168.11.101/255.255.255.0
	security = user
	encrypt passwords = Yes
	smb passwd file = /etc/smbpasswd
	password server = LUCY