still out of domain

Ulf Mehlig umehlig at uni-bremen.de
Fri Jan 14 12:14:28 GMT 2000

Hello out there,

I think I've sent a mail about not being able to join a domain
yesterday, but at least I didn't receive it up to now. Once again: I
downloaded yesterday evening's cvs branch SAMBA_TNG, compiled with
"./configure.developer", deleted/emptied old stuff in .../private,
started all those daemons and let my samba server (intel Linux 2.2.13)
join the domain (smbpasswd -a -m pandora3; smbpasswd -j
olymp). Afterwards I added the client (vmware: NT 4.0/SP5) to
smbpasswd (smbpasswd -m -a pseudo).

Unfortunately, the client still won't join the domain, complaining
about "connection to domain controller not possible, have to ask your
sys admin to check the domain account" (free translation from German
NT's message). I'm not a big help in reading the 100' logs, the only
thing that's odd to me is this (from log.pseudo):

  domain_client_validate: unable to validate password for user PSEUDO$
               in domain OLYMP to  Domain controller \\..

Is it normal, that the DC is abbreviated as "\\.."? If you want, I can
send all or parts of the logs and smbpasswd's output as an attachment,
maybe with the configuration files.

Many thanks for your attention,
Ulf