ldap and passwords

Mayers, P J p.mayers at ic.ac.uk
Fri Jan 7 19:29:44 GMT 2000

Yes - the LDAP support requires attributes lmpassword and ntpassword storing
the password hashes (appropriately protected by ACLs of course).

I don't think you understand LDAP very well. An entity can have attributes
which contain data. For example:

dn: uid=user, ou=People, dc=domain, dc=com
objectclass: top
objectclass: posixAccount
objectclass: sambaAccount
uid: user
uidnumber: 8102
gidnumber: 5643
cn: Common Name
homedirectory: /home/user
userpassword: {crypt}64236jigr
loginshell: /bin/bash
gecos: Gecos field
ntuid: users
rid: 42c
homedrive: Z:
pwdcanchange: 00000000
pwdmustchange: FFFFFFFF
lmpassword: <hash goes here................>
ntpassword: <hash goes here................>
pwdlastset: 38036B07
acctflags: [U          ]
profile: \\domctrl\profiles\user
smbhome: \\file-server\\user

This is (roughly, minus a few site-specifics) the template that we use here
for unifies UNIX account (vis nss_ldap and pam_ldap) and NT account via
samba.

The samba server *needs* either the plaintext password or the password hash
- kerberos' network protocol can't supply either. It can *check* the
plaintext password, but that's not good enough.

You're going to need some way for the samba server to obtain the
password/password hash.

It would be good if Samba would calculate the password hash if the password
is stored in plaintext in the LDAP directory - that way, you could eliminate
the need for lmpassword and ntpassword altogether.

You're going to have to be more specific about your requirements before I
could say any more though.

Cheers,
Phil