amazing tng-0.6

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at samba.org
Tue Feb 29 06:58:49 GMT 2000

> OK, the problem is that the "nt_name" field is never being filled in
> at all in the sam_passwd structure used by getsamfile21pwent().
>
> This structure is created by sampassdb.c:pwdb_smb_to_sam(), which
> inherits the nt_name value from the same field in the smb_passwd
> structure returned by smbpass.c:getsmbfilepwent().
>
> Since "nt_name" is never explicitly assigned in any of these places,
> it is not available for the %U substitution, so the empty string gets
> substituted instead.
>
> I think the right solution is to arrange for nt_name to be set
> correctly, but I do not know the right way to do that.  Luke?

lookupsmbpwnam() or lookupsmbpwuid() etc, in lib/domain_namemap.c, should
be filling ALL the parameters, uid, gid, unix_name, nt_name, in correctly.

that's their xxxxing job!!!  that's their sole, stupid, expensive task in
life, and i'm fed up with that damn code.  it's responsible for
order-n-cubed traversion of user lists, recursive black holes and infinite
loops.

i hate it.

and i don't really yet have a good enough handle on what to do to be
confident about replacing it.

and that's after two years thinking about this, on-and-off, and one
previous unsuccessful idea (present in the first version, from which 2.0.x
was cut, and not removed from the release, against my advice).