Workstation: domain account lists

Matthew M Lavy mml1000 at cam.ac.uk
Thu Feb 10 23:19:53 GMT 2000

Hi, I've been asked to help out on a network running a small number of
NT4.0 (SP6) workstations; they are all in a domain which is being run off
samba 2.0.6. The samba server is being used for authentication, profiles
and homedirs, and appears to be stable and reliable (of course!!).
However, there is one very weird problem:

There is a printer hanging off the parallel port of one of the
workstations. This is shared, but it needs to be made so that only a
specific domain user has permissions to print to it. This is not in itself
a problem: in theory, you go to the permissions dialog, click "add",
select the domain and click "show users". You do this and the thing then
basically behaves correctly, showing a list of domain users (which it
presumably got somehow from the samba server). The problem is that not
everyone with an account in smbpasswd shows up on that list!

Can anyone tell me how the NT workstation goes about getting this list of
domain users from the samba server, so I can try to work out how some user
accounts, which are identical to the rest in every other way, do not show
up on the list of users in the printer permissions dialog? These users CAN
log on to an NT workstation with no problem...

I'd be very grateful if anyone had any ideas...

Matthew Lavy

--
Matthew M Lavy BA MPhil ARCM LTCL
Jesus College, Cambridge CB5 8BL