Can profiles stop policies ?

Benjamin Kuit bj at mcs.uts.edu.au
Thu Feb 10 22:52:57 GMT 2000

We have a Samba PDC running on a Solaris box.

We have on occasion run up against the problem where a particular
profile of a user can hinder the effect of the policy (ie ntconfig.pol).

eg, recently we're setting up the machines, with everything working
quite harmoniously, policies and the single mandatory profile working
together nicely, until its found we have to install internet explorer
and check in the changes into the mandatory profile.

Now when users log in using this mandatory profile, their session is
consistant with having no profile, ie the "Shut Down" option in the
start button is visible (when we've disabled it in the ntconfig.pol)
and etc.

Last time we've had this situation, we had to delete the ntuser.man
file within the profile and start it again.

I've gone through the logs and seen that the ntconfig.pol file is loaded,
so I guess the workstation is ignoring it for whatever reason.

We're running an oldish version of samba (was built a year ago), we've
hadn't needed to update it since then because appart from this
policy/profile conflict problem, we've had little problems, and I
dont know if this problem is the fault of samba or not.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

caio

Bj