Windoze NT/98 drive mountings being dropped

Aaron Victor aaronvictor at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 1 19:18:39 GMT 2000

Greetings everyone. I have been looking for a solution
to this problem for a while now with no luck as of
yet. Maybe someone else has seen this problem.

First some quick info on my setup and home network.
*Linux firewall running version 2.2.13
*Firewall is running Samba version 2.0.5a
*Mounting drives to two NT PDC's and two 98
workstations

The problem I am having is. After a successful mount
from the linux box to an NT/98 box. Everything seems
fine for a day or two. Then without warning or
anything known causing it, the mappings are dropped.
And the dir they were mapped to becomes un-usable.
Here is what the dir's look like after the mountings
are dropped:

ls -l brings back the following:

ls: pdc01_e: Input/output error
ls: pdc01_d: Input/output error
ls: pdc01_c: Input/output error
ls: wks01_c: Input/output error
ls: wks01_d: Input/output error
ls: wks02_c: Input/output error
ls: wks02_d: Input/output error
ls: wks02_e: Input/output error

The command I use to mount the drive is the following:
smbmount //ntserver/ntshare /dir/mount dir -U username
<enter>
Then it prompts me for the password.

Everything seems OK for a day or two.. Then the
mounting is dropped and the dir that it was mounted to
is listed with an input/output error. If anyone can
help. I would greatly appreciate it. THANKS!!!

Also. If anyone happens to know how to get rid of the
un-usable dir's that are cluttering up my /mnt dir let
me know.. After this happens I can't do anything with
the dir's that had the mount done to them.. I can't
delete them, or re chmod them or anything.. So they
are filling up the /mnt dir. I have about 35 of these
type of dir's in their now.. I would like to get rid
of them once we figure this problem out. THANKS AGAIN!

Aaron Victor