Frustrated with browsing, domains, and network logins ...

Lars Kneschke lk at netuse.de
Tue Feb 1 14:06:38 GMT 2000

Anthony Brock wrote:

> > >plant_server
> > >->
> >Have you disabled the wins-server on the PDC?
>
> Yes, WINS is disabled on both the PDC and BDC.
>
> >Use all clients the same WINS-server? And do all clients and
> >servers use a WINS-server?
>
> Currently, all clients use DHCP and are assigned the same WINS server
> address (x.x.4.1).  When I installed the NT PDC, it also was configured
> with this WINS address (I also added the WINS to the BDC at that time,
> which was about 4 months ago).
>
> >Which Sambaversion do you use?
>
> The WINS Server was recently down-graded back to 2.0.6 (since virtually all
> of our cross-network browsing became VERY unstable when we tried to upgrade
> to Samba-TNG).
>
> >Can you post the global section from smb.conf?
>
> # Samba config file created using SWAT
> # from dns1.georgefox.edu (x.x.4.1)
> # Date: 1999/12/27 10:47:49
>
> # Global parameters
> [global]
>          workgroup = IT
>          encrypt passwords = Yes
>          syslog = 0
>          time server = Yes
>          logon script = startup.bat
>          domain logons = Yes
>          os level = 34
>          preferred master = Yes
>          domain master = Yes
>          wins support = Yes
Hm, looks ok. I have no idea anymore.

I would watch the nmbd log file. I think at debug level 3 or 4 you can
see enough. nmbd writes to the logfile if it get domain master browser,
local master browser , etc ... . Maybe you can track down your problems,
watching the debug messages.

Cu
--
Lars Kneschke