Guest accounts with security = user

Eric Delaet eridel at kava.be
Tue Dec 5 09:04:52 GMT 2000

Hello,

I am migrating from a Win NT server to a samba server with the security =
user option.

Everything is working great. But I need a central directory for every user
(a "guest share), also for people who are not yet registered on the
machine.

The "guest account = guest" is specified in the global section of smb.conf
(the guest account exists in the unix password file), and the "guest ok"
parameter is set in the share.

However, when users who don't have an account (yet) on the machine, they
don't see the public share, but they get a window with "login" and
"password".

Is it possible to fall back on a guest account with security = share?

TIA
Eric